Monday 3 June 2013

Sophie makes flapjacks

I love baking with Sophie, she gets so enthusiastic and excited, but it can get very messy, so I was thrilled when the lovely people at elinens sent me this gorgeous Sabichi Best of British apron to try out. It gave me just the excuse I needed to make one of our favourite recipes - flapjacks. Its such a simple recipe that Sophie can do most of it with assistance. I tend to have to hide them when Michael is around though as he's always dipping in! We put them in lunchboxes and take them on picnics - they can be frozen, but they don't often last that long!




I always weigh out the ingredients in advance and have everything I need to hand, as Sophie stands on a chair at the kitchen table to help. This way I can stay with her. I let her add all the ingredients (apart from the hot butter) and give them a good mix. I do have to keep a close eye on her otherwise she would eat everything before it gets to the oven! I also have to watch she doesn't chuck everything everywhere, including over me, so an apron for both of us is a must.



I loved the design of the apron, its quite short, which is perfect for me, and the ties are long enough for it to fit any size. The lightweight 100% cotton material was lovely for a hot kitchen and it kept my clothes nice and clean, I also really like the patriotic red, white and blue design - a great buy for the price!

Recipe

  • 250g porridge oats
  • 100g butter
  • 100g raisins (or any other dried fruit)
  • 80g golden syrup

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees, grease or line a swiss roll tin
  2. Melt the butter in a pan or the microwave
  3. Mix together all the ingredients
  4. Add the mixture to the swiss roll tin and press down well
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for approx 30 mins
  6. Leave in the tin to cool, then cut up in the tin ready to serve 



 Disclaimer - I was sent this apron free of charge for the purpose of this review

2 comments:

  1. I really want to get baking more with Dylan and maybe getting us some aprons may be the incentive I need! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! You can also buy some really cute little baking sets - fantastic rainy day activity, or a way to entertain them if you are busy in the kitchen x

      Delete